Sleigh beds are one of the more interesting designs to come out of furniture design. The first sleigh bed was designed in France around 1790 by an engineer, not a designer or carpenter. His name is unknown, and it is believed that he created the bed as a way to make up for lost income after going blind during a failed military experiment using gunpowder.
It wasn’t until many years later that sleigh beds would gain notoriety among European nobility and eventually become known around the world as a popular choice for modern bedroom styles.
Why are sleigh beds popular?
Sleigh beds have been featured in everything from movies to magazines because of their beauty and their novelty, among other types of beds. Although they were extremely popular from 1890-1960, there has been a decline in the popularity of this type of bed.
Sleigh beds are popular for their novelty, not to mention that they can be extremely comfortable because the headboard and footboard are generally rounded, meaning you don’t have edges digging into your body as you sleep.
Reasons to buy
Sleigh beds come in many different shapes and sizes, even though most of them will resemble a sleigh or “U” shape. The size depends on the designer, but it often varies slightly from bed to bed, even if they were created by the same person or company.
There are also sleigh beds with storage included under the platform, which is another reason why these have become so popular around bedroom furniture stores everywhere.
Some other reasons why people consider buying sleigh beds over other styles include:
- They look stunning in any bedroom
- Sleigh beds are made up of many different types, colors, and materials (i.e., contemporary leather, fabric, metal, etc.)
- They are great for kids because they don’t have sharp edges that can hurt them if they fall into the bed or run into it during the night.
- They are very sturdy and will last a long time without sagging or breaking down.
- The design has been around for hundreds of years which makes it timeless.
You may be thinking to yourself that there is no way you could fit a sleigh bed into your room because they take up so much space. That isn’t necessarily true. You can find sleigh beds in styles ranging from full canopy beds with storage options underneath to sleigh beds without footboards or headboards. This gives the buyer many different options to choose from when they start shopping for this type of bed, and it can make all the difference in your bedroom design.
Sleigh Bed Features
Sleigh beds are usually made with a traditional sleigh beds shape – featuring curved headboards and footboards that draw up into points with an arched center.
Sleigh beds do not have corner posts. Instead, they help create a sleigh-like profile, such as ovals or circles with flat fronts and backs.
Many come with storage space underneath to give you more space in your bedroom, making them great for children’s rooms, guest bedrooms, or master suites alike.
Pros and cons
Sleigh beds have many benefits and a few drawbacks, as nothing is perfect in this world.
- Sleigh beds can be great for master bedrooms because they are often sturdier than other types of beds, which means you don’t have to worry about using a box spring or foundation with them.
- In fact, many sleigh bed owners will say that their bed has lasted several years without the use of a box spring or foundation at all.
- Sleigh beds are generally well constructed and made from high-quality materials, so they tend to be quite sturdy.
- Contrary to popular belief, sleigh beds do not take up a lot of space in your bedroom when in use. They have a low center of gravity which makes them an excellent choice for small spaces.
- If you aren’t accustomed to buying handmade items, you may want to double-check with the seller as many sleigh beds are handmade.
- Many sleigh beds have been reproduced, so if you’re looking for a high-quality product, be sure that you’re buying from a reputable dealer.
How much does a sleigh bed cost?
The price of a sleigh bed can vary from about £300-£2500 depending on the size, materials, and craftsmanship that goes into making it.
Types of Sleigh Beds
- Regular sleigh bed: features headboard and footboard that extend to the floor
- Canopy sleigh bed: often fitted with sheer drapes or panels around the posts at the top of the bed
- Storage sleigh beds: perfect for master bedrooms, these feature either drawers or shelves under the platform.
- Scroll beds: a sleigh bed that is made from a scroll-like section
- Divan beds: sleigh beds with storage underneath the mattresses
- Poster beds: often include side rails which make them look like traditional four-poster beds, but they do not have corner posts or canopy drapes as seen in regular four-poster beds
Materials for Sleigh Beds
Timeless design can be achieved with sleigh beds made from any number of materials, including:
- wooden sleigh beds (walnut, cherry, maple, or even mahogany)
- metal (usually alloy for strength and durability)
- upholstered beds on a wooden beds frame (the most common style)
- upholstered fabric on a metal frame (can be customized in virtually any color or pattern; great if you want your sleigh bed to match the existing furniture in your room).
- twin: 39″ wide x 78″ long
- full/small double: 54″ wide x 78″ long
- queen size: 60″ wide x 80″ long
- king size: 76″ wide x 80″-84″ long (if two smaller-sized twin beds are put together to make a king sleigh bed, some assembly may be required).
- super king: 78″ wide x 81″-85″ long (if two smaller-sized twin beds are put together to make a king sleigh bed, some assembly may be required).
Factors to consider when buying a Sleigh Bed
- Think about your room size and how much space you have-can you fit two twin beds in the same space that would take up one king-sized sleigh bed. You can then save money by purchasing two sleigh bed frames rather than one.
- Don’t skimp on quality. Getting a sleigh bed made from quality materials ( e.g., solid wood) may cost more upfront, but it will certainly last longer than if you go with shoddy construction or cheaper materials like particle board or MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard).
- Always read reviews of each eCommerce site to make sure their products are well equipped with customer service policies.
- Make sure there is ample storage space underneath the platform. Many people use the area underneath the bed to store extra linens or seasonal items, so be sure that there is enough space to store your items.
- Make sure you’re comfortable with how high off of the ground the mattress will sit, and make faster checkout reviews online if people have commented on what heights they find comfy vs. uncomfortable.
- Check that there is adequate support running underneath the sides and across the bottom of the sleigh bed frame to ensure that it doesn’t sag in places over time.
- If you are trying to use a sleigh bed for children, check with the manufacturer about safe weight limits. Read reviews from independent owners online to get an idea if their claims match up with reality.
- Thoroughly read all parts of the owner manual before assembling pieces to ensure that you have enough tools and supplies to complete the job.
Sleigh beds have been around for hundreds of years, and despite being out of style in recent times, they are still extremely popular with people who want a timeless design for their bedroom.
Sleigh beds come in a fantastic range of different shapes and sizes, so you don’t have to worry about your room feeling too small when buying one because they have low centers of gravity, which makes them an excellent option for any sized space. Just remember to buy from a reputable dealer if you’re looking to purchase one because there are many reproductions out there that aren’t built to last.
As always, we recommend reading reviews from other customer creating reviews before making your final purchase decision. We hope this guide was helpful! Good luck shopping for a new bed!